How to Make Your Own Free Website in 20 Minutes
By following this post you will have a website that you can visit in your web browser just like this one, for nearly free(less than 5 cents a year) in 20 minutes. In addition to being easy to set up, your website will be on top of a highly scalable and reliable architecture which will handle traffic spikes with ease.
The company we will use to host this site is called NearlyFreeSpeech.NET.
- Visit NearlyFreeSpeech.NET now.
- Click "Sign Up Now" in the top left.
- Click "Create a membership."
- Fill out the form and click "Sign Up for NearlyFreeSpeech.NET."
- Check your email for the confirmation email.
- Click the link in the email, or follow the other sign in methods. Remember the password in the email as well.
- Enter your password to log in.
Making your site
- Click "Create a new account" on the right sidebar.
- Fill out the form and click "Save Changes."
- At this point NearlyFreeSpeech.NET will give you 2 cents for free for a 30 day trial usage. (After 30 days, you will have to pay at least 25 cents to keep your site running.)
- Click "sites," then "Create a New Site" on the right sidebar.
- Pick a name for your site that will become part of the URL of your site. For example, a short name of "ryantm" would give "http://ryantm.nfshost.com."
- Click "Continue."
- Unless you already have a domain name, select "No" and click "Continue."
- Click "Create Now."
Adding your first web page
- Open a text editor (on Windows try Notepad).
Enter the following text:
<html> <head> <title>My First Page</title> </head> <body> <h1>Hello World Wide Web!</h1> </body> </html>
- Save your text file as "index.html".
Uploading your first web page ( on windows )
- Open Windows Explorer (Shortcut: type "windows+r" then type "explorer" and press enter).
- Type "ftp.phx.nearlyfreespeech.net" into the address bar.
- Enter your username, "YourUserName_YourWebsiteShortname" and the password you received by email.
- Click and drag your index.html file into the directory.
Uploading your first web page ( on Linux )
- Open a terminal
rcp index.html YourUserName_YourWebsiteShortName@ssh.phx.nearlyfreespeech.net:/home/public
Visiting your site
- Visit your site at http://YourWebsiteShortName.nfshost.com.
Questions or Feedback? Email email@example.com or tweet @ryantm.